The Orange County I-40 contract consists of 11 miles of road widening of I-40 from I-85 to the Durham County line with interchange modifications from four to six lanes (three lanes in each direction).
Tons of CO2e emissions from embodied carbon avoided by using Portland-Limestone cement concrete mixes
Tons of demolished concrete crushed and reused onsite
Sq Feet of soundwall installed to protect the local community
The project will also improve the N.C. 86 exit and sections of that highway for several hundred feet both north and south of the interchange.
Once completed this project will improve traffic flow along the I-40 corridor and help relieve heavy congestion that develops during peak hour times. The project utilizes environmentally friendly recycling of existing concrete pavement into sub-base material for new lanes. Work is anticipated to begin in the fall of 2022 and the job is expected to be completed by the fall of 2025.
BENEFITS/POSITIVE ASPECTS TO COMMUNITY
- Relieve peak hour congestion
- Ease mobility between the existing I-85 interchange to the six-lane section at the end of the project
- Improve safety in the region by keeping vehicles moving
- Improve the N.C. 86 interchange in both directions
- Replacement of two existing bridges
- Widen the two I-40 Bridges of the Norfolk Southern Railroad
- Rehabilitation of seven bridges on I-40
- Design and construct all required sound barrier walls and retaining walls